Sunday, July 19, 2009

Diet Coke Addict?



A friend of mine gently chided with me several weeks ago that I perhaps was addicted to my computer. Not wanting to be addicted to ANYTHING I thought long and hard, becoming very defensive about it but then realize that while I would still not call it "addiction" (and yes, some would say I'm in classic denial) there are several routines and habits that I have structured my life around. Does it inhibit my relationships and interaction with others? To me, I feel that when it comes to my internet use it only strengthens my relationships with others. So.... my verdict? I'm not addicted.

And yet, sad to say, I couldn't bear to think of not bringing my mac on vacation with me. Whenever I'm standing in line somewhere I'm checking Facebook on my iPhone. I try to resist the urge to check my email at stoplights) I definitely twitter in church but only when I can do so inconspicuously and without distracting others. WiFI has definitely become a key part of my lifestyle.

I concluded that I wasn't addicted to the internet, my mac or my iPhone. I'm no junkie! (But lets not take away these toys, I mean, tools, as they are indispensable to me) But then I got to think about the other things that I do every day, and I have quite a list.

Most notable is diet coke. Sometimes popcorn. Addicted? And even if I am, does it really matter? I'm not sure.

I don't wish to further expound in this post about my thoughts towards all this. It would either come across as denial, rationalization or worse. But i have challenged myself to drink more water this week. Maybe water will become my new addiction. And then, in a few weeks we can discuss at length what is addiction and what constitutes it and if all addiction is bad. But not yet. First let me cut back on diet coke so it won't be a blog post attacking poor me. ;-) Then we can enjoy a calm, rational discussion about what it means to be addicted and is someone really an addict to something even if it doesn't harm them.

But not yet.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for a new post. Hmm, interesting-what constitutes an addiction vs. routine and habit. I, like you, wonder at my keen attachment to my iPhone and the need to be connected. On our Europe vacay it was nice (such a bland word) to have the iPhone internet hook up on our travels but also equally nice to not have that minute by minute connection when on the cruise.

    I suppose it (be it the iPhone, diet coke, or donuts - one of my weaknesses!!!) becomes a problem when it interferes with the socialability of life...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellie, I agree, which is why I believe I am not addicted .... and yet, when I'm bored I immediately start perusing my iphone!

    I still maintain that these things encourage my interaction with life. Through FB I learn of things I can pray about. I have joined in on many impromptu park days by seeing a friend post "going to the park.... join me at 10" to whoever is reading it. (but once there I am guilty of checking my iphone a few times to see my email!)

    I have gone about 2 days with no laptop and realized how ingrained it is in my routine. I don't think I can stay away from it for more than an hour unless I'm not at home! When I sit down to fold laundry, I check my email, FB or a blog. The first thing I do in the morning is visit my mac. The last thing I do at night is usually say goodnight to my mac.

    I do realize that most others are not as obsessed as I am but I still don't believe there's a problem. :-) And even if others think perhaps it is, I'm in good company and there are so many other things to be addicted to that are horribly bad, right?
    And how can INFORMATION be a bad thing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post. Mainly because I have been asking the same questions starting years ago when we had the internet. The first responses were "People are not socializing anymore." As they continue to spend time on it, and as I watched my own kids play some games with their friends via internet, it wasn't any different than when they gather at one place; they still didn't look at each other, talked, or socialize differently. But, that's how boys do it. They share a toy to play. And, yes, they are socializing. Now, when it comes to girls they were more onto -then- Myspace, now FB and other sites with a relational purpose. My daughter would sit with a friend and check what so and so was doing, who was she out with, etc. And I also noticed than when they(boys and girls) had some place to go they simply close the computer and games and out they went. I don't think it is the monster it was being created to be in the beginning and most importantly, it is here to stay and grow, so it is up to us to learn to adjust and live peacefully with technology-there is no going back- Like anything else, I am sure that there are those that overdo it, and that's why therapy is always an option :)

    ReplyDelete