Monday, March 28, 2011

The Point?


I've only a handful of blog posts during this month of March, and it's not because I've been overly busy; it is simply because the more I think about it, the more I realize I have nothing worth saying. I've been told quite often recently that others "don't care" what I think, feel or have an opinion on, but I've dismissed it because surely they didn't mean it that way; how can one have community or friendship if no one cares about the other person? But after being outright told "I don't care" has made me come to my senses.

And it hurts.

A few days ago I posted a link to an article on facebook from the Wall Street Journal about girls growing up too fast. Normally I post links to articles to further discussion, and my friend commented a very good insightful post. And after waiting a day or two called me a stinker for not discussing my own views. Didn't I want a dialogue?

I realized that I no longer need a dialogue because it is pointless. I wanted to be heard, I wanted to engage and dialogue and be known, but what's the point if my views, likes, dislikes, struggles, thoughts and ideas don't matter and no one wants to hear them? It is one thing to say to someone that they don't need to know they're having spaghetti for dinner that night, but it is another thing to tell a person that you simply don't care what they have to say and their opinion or other, weightier matters.

Once upon a time I blogged pretty faithfully because I thought I had made a commitment to do so, but right now I really fail to see what the point is except my own stubborn, legalistic resolve to post something just to say I'm faithful and consistent. But if no one cares..... what is the point?

1 comment:

  1. sometimes it is just 'good' to write your thoughts and ideas, because the "I don't care" is not for everyone. I think of others who have left me a note here and there from locations I have never been too, or people I have never met, and the writing of ideas and observations touched them. So there are two groups of people, the "I don't care" group and the "hmm that is interesting or makes me think group". Both groups may or may not post a comment...but both groups are still there. So your postulation that "nobody cares" is too big, perhaps it is just "that one friend" who does not care. Is it worth it to stop writing for just the one?

    ReplyDelete