Monday, December 28, 2009

Gabriel The Elf


It has come to my attention that not everyone has their own personal elf.

Last year, a sweet, cute, perpetually jolly elf came to join us in creating a new family tradition. It came in a package with an elf reminiscent of an older era, and a book that explains how Santa knows if all the boys and girls are being naughty or nice. Santa's secret weapon? Spies. Little elf spies.

Of course, my kids don't view Gabriel as a spy; he's a trusted friend. They eagerly await his arrival and we read the book about Gabriel. In the book it is explained that families have elves that watch over us and then at night report back to Santa. He can relay messages, so my kids all go up to Gabriel and excitedly tell him "The List" of what they want. I'm not sure I'm a fan of this because it enables my kids to change their minds on what they want Santa to get them. It all worked out this year.

There are a few elf rules: He can't talk, but we can talk to him. No one can touch him or he'll lose his magic, and he leaves on Christmas Eve and will not come back again until Dec. 1st of the following year.

The best part of the elf? Every morning, after he reports to Santa, he flys to a new part of the house to observe. My kids love to get up and hunt for the elf. The laughter can be heard every morning as they are delighted with some of Gabriel's hiding places!

This Christmas has been absolutely magical on so many levels. My kids received gifts they wanted but did not expect. I have a 5 and a 6 year old in the house and it's the sweetest, cutest thing ever! The delight in the tree, the lights, setting out cookies and milk for Santa, carrots for his reindeer.... it was just amazingly cute.

I've much more to say but wanted to say that I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas! In the words of Charles Dickens,

"I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year."

No comments:

Post a Comment