Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Most Profound

When I was in High School I took a week off school to be a Christian Camp Counselor for a Christian elementary school. Actually, I believe I did this twice and enjoyed it so much. I was in charge of a little room of girls in the evening an a group during the day where I'd keep track of them, do devotions with them, help them memorize the "theme" verses of the week. (we memorized Psalm One, I still have it memorized) I had such a great time with the kids and the older camp counselors.

Of course, singing is a big part of camp and while there I leaned a slightly different rendition of Jesus Loves Me. It had most of the same words, twixt with Amazing Grace, and all to a fairly lilting, mellow tune. It wasn't so sing-song as the tune of Jesus Loves Me I grew up with. It was slower, made me really meditate on the words.

Such a simple song, and yet, it and the Amazing Grace verse brought me to tears.

A year later I wrote an essay to be a pane of kids to give input to the magazine Campus Life. I wrote about how meaningful this basic song was to me.

I was chosen to serve on the panel for a year.

I still find that this simple, preschool song can be so meaningful. It still at times can bring me to tears, because it is rather amazing the things it points out:

Jesus Loves Me.

I Belong.

I'm weak, but He is not.

Faith is trusting in what He says.... and that is: Jesus Loves Me.

I know that it's not all about ME and it is all about the Glory of God, but it still is rather amazing that He, such an infinite, loving, self-sufficient, capable of anything and everything God, chooses to love and displays infinite patience with His creation.

A creation that really deserves nothing... that was created in His image to give Him glory and yet fail so often.

Jesus Loves Me.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE that last line, right before "Jesus Loves Me"!!!! Thank you so much for sharing. I too pondering on reasons why God would give His only Son, for ME. I don't think I'm very special, but then remind myself that I am because I am made in His image. It's all so breathtaking to think about.

    ReplyDelete