Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A Bookish Question



So, what are you reading right  now?

What were a few favorite books you read in 2012?

What books are you looking forward to reading in 2013?

What is your all-time favorite book ever?

Do you enjoy reading ebooks or regular books?

For me, I'm currently reading Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin. It is officially 916 pages, but from page 759 on is either notes or index. So far, I'm only at page 175 but I'm definitely enjoying it. It has been a long time since I've read a biography of a past president. The reason I am reading it is because I wanted to take a break from the "church business" books that I have an overabundance of, so I decided to first read a bit of Christian fiction (Calvin Miller's The Singer), and then a book on Advent that was very well and creatively written, (Russ Ramsey's Behold the Lamb of God: An Advent Narrative) and now I'm reading Team of Rivals, the book that the movie Lincoln, currently in theaters, was based on. It is fascinating.

As for my favorite books of 2012? I'm still mulling that one over. It is one of the disadvantages of a Kindle, sometimes I read in such great succession I fail to really savor, enjoy and reflect on books like I should. And some books I didn't necessarily love as much as found thought-provoking, which I do enjoy. Sometimes books are great because they affirm what you already believe, but sometimes it is enjoyable to wrestle with things that challenge what you steadfastly believe is the best or right way.

Before the end of my holiday, I hope to read Flannery O'Connor's A Good Man is Hard to Find, as well as Wendell Berry's Remembering. Trying to add a few more fiction titles.

I read books on my Kindle, iPad and 'real' books. I have a slight preference for real books but I do enjoy the ease of having ebooks available instantly as well as being able to tote around hundreds of books one one device. Plus, Amazon has so many great deal on their ebooks! I have built quite a Kindle library with many free or severely discounted books.... many under 3 dollars.

So.... what are you reading?

BTW: I can't help it.... my favorite book ever is probably C.S. Lewis' Narnia Chronicles. It is hard to resist a bit of childhood that continually amazes and refreshes you as you grow older. Seldom books do you LOVE as a child and even more as an adult.

No comments:

Post a Comment