Monday, November 1, 2010

For Justice





I love a challenge; I hate a challenge! Truly, I can't win. But I do think it would 't be appealing to attend a church that did not challenge me spiritually and my comfort and views on life.

But sometimes it sure does hurt!

I've written several drafts about the current series my pastor has been preaching. Living from the Inside Out: Making the Good News Good Again. I started out really enjoying it, and I still enjoy it, but 2 of the messages made me cry like crazy as I realize I struggle with community. (and I also seemed to view a comment he made as an attack on those who love books and reading about faith instead of doing it)

Last week was on work and I jokingly mentioned that it was his best one yet; as nothing applied to me since I did not work. Of course, I was teasing; there was much that resounded with me.

This week the topic was For Justice and his text was Luke 10, the Good Samaritan. I've read a wonderful book that addressed this text, Ministries of Mercy: The Call of the Jericho Road by Tim Keller and I LOVE Tim Keller and so enjoy how he explains things, but I still have questions about mercy and justice. So it's no wonder I still have questions!

There's a part of me that doesn't believe we can live a love and mercy that has no conditions or limits. There's even a part of me that thinks: shouldn't there be limits? How many chances do you give a person? How much time and money should you invest? is it ever approrpriate to give up?

I'm truly thankful God doesn't give up; but it is so hard to do the same.

Tim Keller writes, "God's mercy comes to us without conditions, but does not proceed without our cooperation. So too our aid must begin freely, regardless of the recipient's merits. But our mercy must increasingly demand change or it is not really love." (Ministries of Mercy, page 93)

What do you make of this quote? To have no conditions and yet..... to demand change is certainly a condition! I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment