Saturday, July 10, 2010

Review: Beyond Opinion


I had no idea that this book by Ravi Zacharias was a collection of essays and as such was written by other people as well as Mr.Zacharias on apologetics and the challenging questions that often come up. This book is written in 3 parts: The first addresses various difficult questions, such as postmodernism, atheism, challenges from other religions and from science. He also addressed the question behind the questions.

In the second part he talks about internalizing the questions and answers, and discusses the trinity, role of doubt, and idolatry, denial and self-deception. I found this section particularly interesting to me, perhaps because I am going through my own pilgrimage of some doubt and introspection of my faith. I enjoyed reading these various essays that both challenged and helped soothe some of my questions and allowed me to doubt while still giving me something solid to hold onto. Truly, this book has come at a perfect time in my life.

The last part deals with living out the answers, which is my biggest challenge, as I think I'm still lingering in the second part of wrestling with my questions, nearly emerging and content with the arguments but not quite yet.

I look forward to re-reading this book again, as it has given me plenty to think about. I would recommend this book for those that want to articulate and gain a firmer footing on their faith and wants to live it out.

This book was provided free of charge from Thomas Nelson Publishers as part of their BookSneeze book review bloggers program.

No comments:

Post a Comment