Sunday, November 1, 2009

Apologia

I was thinking the other day about apologetics. Do you also think about Christian apologetics? I find it odd that it's called "apologetics" because when I think of that word, the first thing that pops into my mind is to apologize for something; to say I'm sorry. Why would I want to apologize for the Bible and theology?

But a quick look into the word "apologetics" reveals the greek root of the word "apologia" which is "a defense". I still find this odd because when I'm apologizing for something, am I defending myself? Or am I humbly saying I'm sorry without offering a defense?

It's interesting.

I know that not all words retain it's original root but I still find this of interest. I'd love to hear if you have any further insight into this matter, as I in no way claim to be a Biblical or a Greek scholar!

No comments:

Post a Comment