Thursday, November 12, 2009

Fleeting Wonder


I can't believe it's nearly mid-November. Thanksgiving is approaching. I've not even thought of it. Christmas is coming up and I have not even begun to think of Christmas. In fact, I don't know what to think of Christmas. My family doesn't need anything; my kids of course want things but they also don't need anything. We just looked at out budget and we don't have a lot of extra money for presents yet..... presents are a necessity, right? It's a way of showing love to those around us: my in-laws, family, friends. teachers. And they are so important, one wants to spend a lot of money on them.

Not this year. This year will be a simple Christmas out of necessity. I once would get so elaborate at Christmas, giving my kids so many presents to open they tired of opening them! I have learned that they don't even appreciate it if it's done in excess.

I'm trying to be creative. I know that my in-laws will appreciate creativity just as much as monetary gifts. I have my photography and David his video skills; surely we can figure out something fun and unique that they will appreciate. I know that my family appreciates time; going on outings together, cooking together, sharing meals together. My kids most oft requested things to do is to ride their bikes with David or at the BMX park.

With this in mind, I'd love some suggestions. What do you do to let you family and friends know that you cherish them at Christmastime? Do you have any inexpensive yet homemade, special projects that you do for them? I only have a month and a half left to get ready!

I know that Christmas is not just about presents; and in a way I'm happy that things are forcing me to keep it simple this year. I still believe that tis could be the best Christmas ever and share with the kids the real meaning of Christmas, not just by our words, but through our actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment