Sunday, April 11, 2010

Character of a Christian

This morning at church my pastor said a phrase I've heard quite a bit growing up: Character is who you are when no one is watching." He also said a lot of other stuff, about our identify, being hidden in Christ, justification, sanctification, etc. And a basic overview of the Corinthian church, sophists, Paul, etc. etc. I guess he really covered a lot in such a short amount of time.

Tonight I have been musing about justification, the concept of what Christ has already done to declare us righteous, and sanctification, which somehow is a process; the whole idea of being already complete in Christ yet working out our salvation.

It fills me with questions. So I do try to figure out answers.

I haven't yet but I did come across something I found interesting that at least takes my mind off the aforementioned questions. This is from D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones Safe in the World

"The first thing that is true about the Christian is that he does not belong in the world.
In light of this, it is vital that we should ask ourselves the question, am I of the world or am I not? That is the fundamental distinction that runs through the Bible from beginning to end. There are only two groups of people in the world today - those who are of the world and those who belong to Christ. In the last analysis there is no other division or distinction that has the slightest importance or relevance. That is why most of us are defeated by life in this world - we recognize other distinctions that are quite unimportant. But when we all come to die, does it make the slightest difference which political party we belong to? Does it matter whether we are rich or poor, learned or otherwise? There is only one fundamental distinction, and that is whether we belong to the world or to Christ."

No comments:

Post a Comment