Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Could a Garden Come Up?


I find the most amazing things on the internet. I'm a perfect test candidate for social media and social media marketing. If a blogger recommends a book, and I like that blogger, I'll buy it. If he or she says this is the best music ever, I'll definitely preview the album, and if I like it, I will purchase it.

I'm quite an obedient "student."

On Tuesday a band I've only heard about in tweets released their new album, Beautiful Things. The band is called Gungor. I have learned it was called The Michael Gungor Band but now they just go by Gungor. The tweets were abuzz with how stunning they were in concert a week ago at a worship conference, and I couldn't comprehend how they could be THAT different; It's "worship music". How can it be so revolutionary?

When pressed, I could not get an adequate answer as to what made them so special, but supposedly they are AMAZING in concert. Exactly how? I'm not sure but 2 people just say they are not to be missed in concert. Revolutionary.

Intrigued, I went to their website. So far, there are no tour dates in the west coast at all. Hopefully that will change, as, like I said, I'm obedient and if someone says "go" I go.

On Tuesday their album was released. After previewing it, I thought it was worth purchasing. After listening to it twice I realized I was falling in love with it; and not just the lyrics; I loved the sound. It's varied and interesting. Some are playful and light; others are serious in tone and words; with raw honesty, yet always coming back to the goodness of God.

This album is one to be savored. It is a delight and has a certain intentional flow and cohesiveness to it; but it's simply beautiful as well. Some albums I'll just pick a couple songs I really like but this album is meant as a whole; it builds on each other. Of course, it's just my opinion but I have so enjoyed listening to this album in it's entirety.

I wonder if partly because, now that I've listened to the music over and over, I'm beginning to really pay more attention to the words. Normally, I'm words-oriented and the words are what endears me to an artist but this time around, it was more the music and sound than the lyrics. However, now the lyrics are just flooring me.

I love all the songs, and they all echo a similar theme to me.

Beautiful Things
Written by Michael Gungor and Lisa Gungor

All this pain
I wonder if I’ll ever find my way
I wonder if my life could really change at all
All this earth
Could all that is lost ever be found
Could a garden come up from this ground at all

You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of the dust
You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of us

All around
Hope is springing up from this old ground
Out of chaos life is being found in You

You make me new, You are making me new

We’ll see a brighter day

© 2010 WorshipTogether.com Songs (ASCAP) and
Michael Rossback (ASCAP)

In another song, Dry Bones, the chorus is so simple and yet I find myself so often in such desire to be "made new". A God that is loving and powerful and capable of transforming me.

"Jesus, You’re the one who saves us
Constantly creates us into something new
Jesus surely you will find us
Surely our Messiah will make all things new
Will make all things new "

Isn't it beautiful?

I think I'm in love with music; Im most definitely in love with the idea that God creates us into something new. He will surely find us.

I love this album.

No comments:

Post a Comment