Thursday, October 22, 2009

Theologically Correct?


I had an interesting (online) conversation today with a friend. He had an interesting tweet and I wanted to know what he was saying. He replied but his tweet did not make much sense. He then jumped on FB to explain it more fully to me.

Theologically I did not quite agree with my friend and wrote out in more detail my belief; prefacing it with I hold a more "Reformed" viewpoint. I do that because I am aware that there are many differing viewpoints.

When I explained my point of view further, it seemed we were mostly on the same page, but he mentioned that he's not one to get into the nitty gritty of his beliefs; he just wants to love God, read scripture, ask God to reveal Himself and then obey. He was quite gracious about.

And yet... (those two words!) I am feeling a bit defeated these days. I find it odd that a person like me is surrounded by many that don't want to ponder these things. That don't want to learn about Christian history. That don't see the value in gleaning from various great authors and preachers. There is a part of me that loves the practical, tangible stuff of life that Jesus was passionate about: Social justice, mercy, compassion.... but not at the expense of knowing what one believes and why one believes it.

I don't know. I have a hard time believing that I am "too hung up on the details". I do find all this very interesting. I don't want my knowledge or beliefs to be an end to itself; yet I see so much value in learning about Christian history, and reading and gleaning from wonderful authors and podcasts. It's not to replace daily Bible reading, local church, or putting faith into practice of course, but I don't believe that I am "inferior" because I enjoy learning about this stuff. Nor do I discount others that don't enjoy the nitty gritty theological arguments either.

1 comment:

  1. I see it as not right or wrong, just different. God gave you an inquisitive mind and desire to learn details. God gave others different gifts and desires. It's all good :) I don't understand why you would think it is "inferior" to want to know Christian history. What I wouldn't agree with is if we wanted to change everybody around us to be like "me." It would be pretty boring. Differences are the spice of life.

    ReplyDelete