Tuesday, August 31, 2010

It's Beginning.....



.... to look a lot like Christmas! Okay, I suppose I'm rushing things; it's not even Labor Day yet, but I worked in retail for so many years and as soon as September hits, we're all thinking CHRISTMAS! Last year Christmas meant so much to me, and there's almost a fear: Will it be that special again this year? Can it possibly be even more special? Last year I read Athanasius' On The Incarnation and was pretty much blown away by the wonder of God sending His son to save us. If you've never read it, I encourage you to do so. It will change your Christmas outlook.

Anyways, here are a few quotes I've found about Christmas.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future.
The Spirits of all Three shall strive within me.
I will not shut out the lessons that they teach."

- Ebenezer Scrooge
Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol


"Love came down at Christmas;
Love all lovely, love divine;
Love was born at Christmas,"
Stars and angels gave the sign."

-Christina Rossetti

"I sometimes think we expect too much of Christmas Day. We try to crowd into it the long arrears of kindliness and humanity of the whole year. As for me, I like to take my Christmas a little at a time, all through the year. And thus I drift along into the holidays--let them overtake me unexpectedly--waking up some fine morning and suddenly saying to myself: "Why this is Christmas Day!"

-David Grayson

"...God's visit to earth took place in an animal shelter with no attendants present and nowhere to lay the newborn king but a feed trough. ... For just an instant the sky grew luminous with angels, yet who saw the spectacle? Illiterate hirelings who watched the flocks of others, "nobodies" who failed to leave their names..."

-Philip Yancy, "The Glory of Humility" in Christmas Stories for the Heart

2 comments:

  1. 113 days!!! Thanks for the recommendation on the book, I'll have to add it to my wishlist. We're spending Christmas this year in France with Guillaume's family and I'm already feeling a little apprehensive. It's our third Christmas together, and our second spent in France and traditions are so different. It's a good reminder that it's all year. Beautiful photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellie, thanks for your comment, I always appreciate your words! Enjoy your Christmas in France! How exciting for you. I misspelled Athanasius' book in my post but have since corrected it. It is On The Incarnation and the text I read was from this website here:

    http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/history/ath-inc.htm

    Be sure to read the introduction by C.S. Lewis; it alone is worth reading! Last year this book so perfectly coincided with Dan's message, except I had started reading it well before he introduced his theme of "Love Came Down" and this book so enhanced my amazement and wonder of Christmas. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! It amazes me it was written in the 4th century, it is surprisingly easy to read.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete