Saturday, October 9, 2010

Willing Shepherds

I don't know about you, but whenever I search "pastor appreciation" I'm often disappointed with the results. I guess the "proper" thing to do is have a large committee and throw a church wide party, or special service to honor the pastor. I'm not good at organizing proper, big, formal things, so instead my version of pastor appreciation is fun, creative and consistent gifts throughout the whole month of October, and often times little things throughout the year too.

I've found some good Bible verses and good quotes regarding the appreciation of pastors, but as I was reading Church Planter: The Man, The Message, The Mission by Darrin Patrick, I came across this quote on page 78:

"Shepherds are willing to bear the pain and endure the brunt of the sheep for the sheep. True elders do not command the consciences of their brethren but appeal to their brethren to faithfully follow God's Word. Out of love, true elders suffer and bear the brunt of difficult people and problems so that the lambs are not bruised. The elders bear the misunderstandings and sins of other people so that the assembly may live in peace. They lose sleep so that others may rest. They make great personal sacrifices of time and energy for the welfare of others. They see themselves as men under authority. They depend on God for wisdom and help, not on their own power and cleverness. They face the false teachers' fierce attacks. They guard the community's liberty and freedom in Christ so that the saints are encouraged to develop their gifts, to mature, and to serve one another."

- Alexander Strauch.

Personally, I thought it was a great pastor appreciation quote; it made me appreciate all that the leaders of my church so faithfully accomplish, time and time again. Things I'll never even have a clue about, but know they are in prayer and desiring the best for the Sheep.

No comments:

Post a Comment