Thursday, September 17, 2009

Crumbs....


I readily admit I'm a strange person and I have a unique train of thought. I feel the need to preface this post with this disclaimer! Basically, it's all connected it's just that it's hard to see the connection but really it's there. It just takes a while to get there.

Try to keep up... ;-)

This past Sunday my pastor's message in church was about 1. And he continually used the number 1 instead of "one". This actually bugs me and I'm dealing with it.... but I don't like seeing it stated as 1ness and 1 instead of one. My husband just laughs at me, because it doesn't bother him at all but he can see why it bothers me, as I read very quickly and supposedly speed readers don't read every letter; they basically just glance at the first few letters, put it in context and guess at the actual words. This makes sense I guess; so by putting 1 in a sentence really messes me up and slows me down! (not to mention I find it annoying!) Yes; it's quite trivial. I know this and that is why even though it truly does bother me, I see the humor in it as well.

So,1 annoys me and I've told at least four others of this little pet peeve of mine. They all think I'm silly and strange and both my husband and my friend Lisa have pointed out that my favorite band is U2.... which has a number and a letter in it's name. I insist THAT doesn't bother me and I have a pretty irrational excuse why it doesn't bother me but the main reason is because they are U2; they'll always be alright. (it's alright, it's alright, it's alright....) Besides, they have a song called "One" and they don't have the audacity to shorten it to "1". Nope. They wrote it out..... "One".... the way it ought to be!

So, then I began thinking of the song "One'..... and I read my pastor's blog post and I'd link it here but am unaware of the etiquette involved in linking things without notifying the person (though I did so to Maxine....;-) Oh, it's kinda fun!) So, my Pastor's blog brought up a call to common unity, and that we are the body of Christ; comprised of many different yet valuable parts buts still one. (1) This got me thinking about U2's song "One" and how we "carry each other" and my mind wandered to what true community really looks like and I thought of the early church which leads me to a passage in Acts 2:

"And they devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers. And awe came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were being done through the apostles. And all who believed were together and had all things in common. And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need . And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts, praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved." Acts 2:42-47 (ESV)

You may think that the U2 song I am going to write the lyrics to are from their song "One" but this passage just triggered a different song in my head, because of the words "signs and wonders"; the words to this song are beautiful and meaning haunting. I'm truly a strange person because I like things fully understood; no room for mystery and yet Bono is actually a poet; often not fully explaining his thoughts and yet it's beautiful. My friend thinks he's a bit too ambiguous but I think he's a master of words; Bono has the heart of a poet. Being a person of too many words I am in awe of those who can use a spare amount of perfectly chosen words to create atmosphere and understanding. It's truly art. It's beautiful, thought-provoking and meaningful to all who hear.

All this to say: Here's the lyrics.

Crumbs From Your Table

From the brightest star
Comes the blackest hole
You had so much to offer
Why did you offer your soul?
I was there for you baby
When you needed my help
Would you deny for others
What you demand for yourself?

Cool down mama, cool off
Cool down mama, cool off

You speak of signs and wonders
I need something other
I would believe if I was able
But I'm waiting on the crumbs from your table

You were pretty as a picture
It was all there to see
Then your face caught up with your psychology
With a mouth full of teeth
You ate all your friends
And you broke every heart thinking every heart mends

You speak of signs and wonders
But I need something other
I would believe if I was able
But I'm waiting on the crumbs from your table

Where you live should not decide
Whether you live or whether you die
Three to a bed
Sister Ann, she said
Dignity passes by

And you speak of signs and wonders
But I need something other
I would believe if I was able
I'm waiting on the crumbs from your table

- U2

So, what does every1 else think? Does the number 1 bother you in sentences? Do you ever 1der why any1 would choose to do this? And what do you think of U2's Crumbs song or even my bizarre train of thought? It's okay; I know I'm strange. What is your favorite U2 song?

3 comments:

  1. I would have to say that yes "1" in sentences is slightly off putting, probably on the same vein as you as I too speed read. As to numbers/letters one of my pet peeves is when people say "o9" rather than "09"...!!!

    Oh, and I enjoy your "bizarre" thought train. It is most usually very thought provoking :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellie, it's so nice to know there's at least one other person that has a bit of a difficult time with "1". I know it's silly to complain about! I agree with your "o9" comment too!
    It's also nice to know that someone actually enjoys my bizarre train of thought! I thank you for your comment and for reading my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too think the art and mystery found in the word ONE is missing from the number 1. One, encompasses the concept of oneness, just in its presentation. For instance it takes three letters to make One....meaning no singularity can exist in One. So the Oneness we long for in the church, really in our lives is One, not 1.

    I love your brain! Your friend, Maxine

    ReplyDelete