Monday, September 14, 2009

Seeing Stars

A few of my friend know about my delight in blue stars. For those that are thinking I'm really strange, let me explain.

A few months ago Apple's Safari web browser had a little nifty update. I have a little thumbnail view of "top sites." It picked the most viewed web pages I visited and display a small thumbnail of it so it's easy for me to click on it and brings up that page. It's quite nice, and I can edit it a bit and choose the sites I prefer to have on that easy access page. Of course, I have my email and FB but all the rest are blogs, and when a blog is updated..... in the right hand corner there's a blue star to alert me that something new has been posted. I LOVE THIS!

Lately I've branched out in my blog reading and have happily found some east coast and midwest bloggers. This is a wonderful thing because of the time difference: by the time I wake up in the morning, many of these blogs have updated with a new post! So.... I see blue stars pretty much every morning! I also bug a few friends weekly to update their blog when I'm a bit bored and want to know what they are up to. (Maxine.....I'm waiting for a blue star!)

I admit, I haven't always been into reading other's blogs. I did not like the name. "Blogs" to me doesn't sound so appealing. "Weblog" is still a bit lacking but regardless of the name the fun thing about blogs is they are all so very different. Some make me laugh, some give me tips, some make me think and form a ton of questions, and others gives me encouragement and inspiration Some recommend books, some challenge my perception of culture or gives deeper insight to culture. Some I read just because I enjoy keeping up to date with my friends.

I think it perhaps is true; what is most personal is most universal and so I've found that by others sharing their questions, concerns, struggles and joys it has been valuable to me. Some blogs I am just inspired by their stories of restoration and faith in a difficult time. Some are so honest but I believe everyone can relate to what she writes. Others I just see joy in the midst of situations I don't think I'd find joy in. It's amazing and beautiful to read these blogs. Then there are the more "academic" blogs that dissect theology, culture and wrestle with answers. I love them all; love how they challenge, encourage me or just make me smile.

A big thank you to all the bloggers out there that bring your unique perspective and story, wisdom and silliness to the blogosphere, and thank you for those that read this and other blogs. I don't consider myself a "real" blogger but I have discovered how fun and valuable it is to blog and to be heard. Thank you for hearing me, and if you are a blogger yourself that I follow or just read regularly, thanks for all those blue stars!

2 comments:

  1. yay, i get to be a blue star.

    i do love this blogging world. so fun to make new friends and have others walk beside me on this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheryl, I agree and yes, I am thankful when your blog has a blue star by it! Thanks for being my new friend and all the insights you share with your readers.

    ReplyDelete