Monday, September 7, 2009

Giddy

Giddy. Isn't it a funny word? It's interesting how words can have multiple meanings. Since I have children my first thought of the word "giddy" is in context to a play stick horse and imaginative play. According to the Merriam-Webster online dictionary "giddy" can mean dizzy, causing dizziness, whirling rapidly, or lighthearted, silly, frivolous, joyfully elated: euphoric.

Well, I'm not talking about being dizzy or foolish or frivolous; I'm talking about being joyfully elated or euphoric. Why you may ask am I elated? The short answers is BOOKS!

This afternoon I attended a dear friend's BBQ swim party. I always enjoy this special friend's company but when she has small or large parties it is really special because she invites people that I love but normally don't spend a lot of time with. I'm not sure WHY I don't spend a lot of time with them, but I don't. It's interesting also because they all attend her church except my family. Actually now that I think about it, it's pretty neat she invites me at all, though most of these folks I also know since we went to the same church several years ago.

So, as much as I enjoyed being with this fun group of friends, what has made me giddy is that one of my friends loaned me several books on church history and Martin Luther. I can't wait to dive into them but I was good and resisted the urge to be anti-social and read at this party. My friend also brought me her photos of her trip to Europe: Wittenburg's Castle Church, Wartburg Castle, etc. She recounted some of the places she visited on a reformation tour; obviously this friend of mine knows quite a bit of church history. Actually, she's quite brilliant; when I traveled to the Christian Book Expo in Texas back in March I had purchased a children's book of famous people that did great things for God. Actually, some of them (in my opinion) were not that famous. At the end of the book was a quiz on each person. Without reading about the person she was able to answer nearly all the questions! Here's a sample based on the chapter on Susannah Spurgeon: What did Susannah send to ministers who earned less than L150 a year? or What presents did Susannah ask Charles to get her one day? " Amazingly, from her own reading prior she's know all the answers. It was fun and a bit uncanny the tidbits of little details she could remember. So... this wonderful, knowledgeable friend loaned me 8 books on Christian history, the reformation, Martin Luther, etc.
THAT is why I'm so giddy! Titles include:

The Legacy of Sovereign Joy by John Piper
The Reformers and the Theology of the Reformation by William Cunningham
The God Who Justifies by James R. White
Here I Stand: A Life of Martin Luther
Pages From Church History by Stephen J. Nichols
The Reformation for Armchair Theologians by Glenn S. Sunshine
Luther for Armchair Theologians by Steven Paulson
Table Talk by Martin Luther

Oooooh, all I can say is thank you, Friend, for loaning me your books!

Yep. I'm definitely giddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment